Arizona Gov. Ducey Balances Public Health And Campaign Season Rallies
President Donald Trump’s campaign is making its second stop in Arizona in as many weeks on Tuesday.
While Gov. Doug Ducey has often said Arizona is in the business of limiting large gatherings of people, he’s also been a frequent guest of the president’s at these events.
Ducey’s executive orders discourage gatherings of 50 people or more, a limit regularly exceeded when President Trump holds rallies. But the governor has also said he wants to protect the rights of Arizonans to assemble in an election year.
Last week, Ducey said he was encouraged by what he called responsible behavior at two campaign events featuring Vice President Mike Pence.
“I participated in both those events, and it seemed to me that everybody was socially distanced in the event,” he said. “I looked at the crowd at both events, both in Tucson and in greater Phoenix and everyone to my eye appeared to be wearing a mask.”
Two attendees at Pence’s rally in Mesa were removed for refusing to wear masks.